Can STD be contracted through casual contact?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hey doctor,

I just had a question about something that has been worrying me. Early today I shook someone's hand and it was quite sweaty, imminently afterward I washed my hands thoroughly with soap and water and about 10 minutes after that when I got home I masturbated before bed. What are the chances of transferring diseases or std from this scenario and since I washed my hands thoroughly is it something that I should worry about and get checked out I have a bit of healthy anxiety so I worry about these things a lot.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk of STDs or any other infection through handshake

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

There is absolutely nil chance of acquiring any STD through just a handshake. The microbes that commonly cause STDs don't survive outside the body for long and die quickly on exposure to air/ drying. They only survive in either genital secretions (vaginal fluids, semen etc) or in blood.
Sweat in general is not infectious and there is no risk of transmitting STDs or any other infection through sweat.
STDs are only transmitted through direct contact- either vaginal, anal or oral sex.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
So even though I masturbated afterward but washing my hands thoroughly beforehand there's still no chance that the handshake sweat would cause diseases like that?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk of STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Even if you had not washed your hands before masturbation, a sweaty handshake is never a risk. The fact that you washed your hands before masturbation must reassure you further.