Can Risperidone and Klonopin cause nightmares?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: FOR THE PAST TWO MONTHS IVE BEEN HAVING NIGHTMARES. THE NIGHTMARES START WITH AN UNSEEN EVIL SPIRIT SAYING THE GOOD WORKS THAT I AM DOING MUST STOP, THEN I FEEL OPPRESSED LIKE SOMTHING IS HOLDING ME DOWN IN BED AND SHOKING ME. I DO HAVE OCD AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BORDERLINE BIPOLOR DISEASE CAN MY MEDICATION GIVE ME NIGHTMARES I TAKE RISPERDONE AND KLONIPIN.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, these drugs can cause nightmares.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, these drugs can cause symptoms like depression, insomnia, nightmares, agitation etc.
So better to consult your psychiatrist and discuss about this problem.
Sometimes addition of another drug can alleviate the symptoms.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 53 minutes later
I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO SEE A PSYCHIATRIST AND THERE IS A LONG WAITING PERIOD FOR AN APPOINTMENT. SO TELL ME WHAT MEDICATIONS CAN I TAKE TO COUNTERACT THE NIGHTMARES AND FEELINGS OF OPPRESION.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start lorazepam tablet at night.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
To relieve these symptoms, take lorazepam tablet at night. Take 2mg lorazepam before sleep.
You will mostly improve.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on XXXX
Wish you good health. Thanks.