• question-icon

Can Risperdal be taken in place of Sertindole?

Posted on Fri, 21 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: Dear Dr. Sheppe,
I would like to know if Risperdal has less side effects than Serlect (Sertindole), except maybe for weight gain,
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Private Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks so much for reaching out to me directly!

Sertindole is not approved for use in the United States because of significant risk of QTc prolongation which can cause cardiac arrhythmia and death. It was originally approved for use in Europe, but was then withdrawn for the same reason as in the United States. It is therefore not used in most industrialized countries.

Risperidone is considered much safer. It has some risk of QTc prolongation but this is small. There is some weight gain, about 5-10 pounds on average. It can also raise prolactin levels which can be monitored with bloodwork. Overall Risperdal is a very safe and effective medicine.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 40 minutes later
Dear Dr. Sheppe,
Thanks for your answer. I just have another question, i would like to know if there is less carbohydrate craving with Risperdal and Paliperidone, because i have it with Serlect.
Thanks beforehand XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Carbohydrate craving is not a known side effect of Risperdal or Paliperidone, so these medications should be safe in this regard.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist