Can Regestrone be taken during pregnancy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife has just found that she is pregnant of 5-6 weeks. She had taken regestrone 5 mg 14 dose morning and evening. I want to know if it will affect the child by any means like physically or mentally?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop pill now

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir thanks for trusting health care magic.
Norethisterone can cause a little male type features in a female baby if taken during intrauterine life.
But since she took it for just 7 days there is nothing to worry but she should discontinue it now.
Keep a regular follow up with your gynaecologist and in case you need any opinion in future please feel free to ask
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 32 minutes later
Her last periods was on 11th feb. Since she didnt get her periods on 11th march, she took regestrone from 18th march to 26th march. V had intercourse while she was on tablet. Can u please tell exactly when can v diagnose if there is any abnormality physically or mentally or genetically in the baby? Is it safe to continue this pregnancy? Is there any other case of side effects due to this tablet?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
There is nothing to worry and you can continue pregnancy.As I told you there are slight chances of increased male features in a female baby but since you took it for a small period of time there is nothing much to worry.
There are slight increased chances of abortion so I asked you to keep a regular follow up with your gynecologist.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Can that increased masculine feature in a female baby be detected in scans? Is there any chance of gender changing problem in the future like becoming a transgender?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not at all

Detailed Answer:
Not at all dear.
This can cause very mild make changes like hoarseness of voice and slight hypertrophy of clittoris in 3-5% of patients and that too on prolonged intake.
So nothing to worry.
Just relax and only threat is of abortion and thus just keep taking all medicine and regular check up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D