• question-icon

Can Quetiapine help manage Lorazepam withdrawal symptoms?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Can Quetiapine Fumarate 50mg mitigate Lorazapam withdrawal? If not what will?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Quetiapine 50 mg can help to some extent.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

Quetiapine is a second generation antipsychotic drug. The drug is used off label in a lot of conditions. The drug can help to sleep in case of Lorazepam withdrawal. Most common symptoms of Lorazepam withdrawal are insomnia and restlessness. These symptoms will be taken care by Quetiapine 50 mg dose to some extent.

But best treatment for Lorazepam withdrawal is to use some long acting benzodiazepine like Clonazepam in equivalent doses and the reduce the doses gradually. This will help to ease the withdrawal symptoms.

But yes if no Clonazepam is then then you can use Quetiapine 50 mg for sleep. This will help you.

Thanks and Take care

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 14 minutes later
We do not have any Clonazepam, so the 50mg Quetiapine will have to do . How often can I take this medication until I talk to my Dr on Monday?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take a tablet of 50 mg

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

You can take a tablet of 50 mg after dinner and if needed then half tablet that is 25 mg in morning after breakfast.

This should help in symptoms.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist