Can Prozac be taken for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi I have quite bad fibromyalgia and feel constantly tired and in pain, I'm on venlafaxine xl and have reduced to 75 mg. I'm overweight feel too tired for proper gym exercise but do swim sometimes and walk. I feel anxious a lot and wonder should I go onto Prozac .? I eat too much chocolate and then feel guilty. I want to follow slimming World diet plan but just forget to really!
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can start with prozac.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

Prozac is an activating antidepressant. It should help you in relieving your tiredness and anxiety.

But it takes some time (5-7 days) to show its effects.

I would suggest you to reduce venlafaxine further, only after prozac starts to show its effects.

Start prozac with low dose (20mg to begin with) as it can initially cause nausea and gastric upset. Dose can be increased gradually depending on response.

As it is a prescription drug, you must take it only consulting your doctor.

Hope this helps.