• question-icon

Can Prozac be abruptly discontinued?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, my psychiatrist and I have recently decided to up my Lamictal from 100mg to 200mg as I was feeling really down. I also started back on 20mg of Prozac which I've only taken for a week now. I'm happy about the increase in Lamictal however I feel the Prozac has put me in a mild manic state where I want to have sex all the time. I actually took it upon myself to start back on it which I feel now was a mistake. She said since I had already started taking it t then continue. I want to stop taking it and was wondering if that would be alright since I've only been on it a week? She actually let's me make my own decision as to whether or not I want to take this or that anyway. Would there be any problem in stopping it? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No problem in stopping it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. You have take Prozac for a week only that too in low doses. Stopping the drug abruptly will not cause any serious issues. So there is no problem in stopping it.

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist