• question-icon

Can Provera be taken for abnormal vaginal bleeding?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: i have had four biospi's because of vaginal bleeding. After the second biopsi i did not bleed for 13 months. when i started bleeding again i had another biopsi on feb. 15, 2017 and haven't bled since. the results each time was no cancer. they want me to put an iud in me and i refused. an oncologist suggested i take provera tablets (too many side effects) so i haven't decided yet. i am 75 years old , i have no cramping or pain and as of today no spotting. they say a hesterectory is too risky with my other medical problems, i.e. stage four kidney disease, type 2 diabetic, previous triple by pass (doing well) . i am 5'5" and weigh 193 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Provera

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

In my opinion due to your health problems and the fact that hysterectomy it's not a option , the best choice for you its provera.

All the medication have side effects,but we are interested to the benefit.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 1 hour later
thank you dr. sera, should i wait to see if i start spotting again to take the provera tablet or should i start immediately. my oncologist is waiting to hear from me regarding my decision.
Brief Answer:
Prevera

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

In my opinion you should start the medication immediately,it's better to prevent the symptoms
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist