Owl Image

Can Pristiq taken once a day cause dark-colored urine?

Owl Image
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Question

can pristique cause a once a day dark urine about 14 hours after taking it

can 50 mg pristique per day cause darkening of urine once a day about 14 hrs. after taking it
Thu, 21 Dec 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a side effect

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but unfourtanetly pristique can cause the side effects of having blood in urine which can lead to darkening of urine color.. however , dark colored urine could also be due to dehydartion , so if are drinking less that eight cups of water daily then you might be dehydrated .
I would recommend that you start getting yourself well hydrated , if the dark urine color continues then you should get a urine analysis .. if urine analysis confirms the presence of blood in urine then you should discontinue the medication and refer to your doctor for a replacement medication. I hope I answered your question

Follow-up: Can Pristiq taken once a day cause dark-colored urine? 35 minutes later
the urine is only one urination a day and looks like dark beer, the medication is making me much less depressed so I hesitate to stop it. I will hydrate much moreto see if that eliminates the dark beer color, The rest of the days urination is very clear, it is only a once a day occurrence that happens about twelve to fourteen hours after taking the pill. thank you.

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. dark beer color of urine is probably due to dehydration and is unlikely to be due to blood in urine.. so, try to drink plenty of fluids and water to avoid its recurrence.. kind regards