Can Prednisone cause high blood sugar?
Corticosteroids increase the blood sugar;
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Yes, corticosteroid therapy can increase the blood glucose causing Diabetes in persons who did not have high blood sugars before or deteriorate it in patients who have been diagnosed with Diabetes before.
The increase on blood sugar varies from individual to individual.
Usually, we recommend to increase the dose of oral tablets or start insulin therapy if the blood sugar is too high.
If you have been taking the blood sugar under control with diet then it is time to start oral tablets.
Your physician will prescribe the right tablets for you (depending on fasting blood sugar, BMI, liver and renal function etc).
However, 9mg is relatively a low dose, so the chances to respond to oral therapy are high.
Hope the information will help. Feel free to ask further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can prednisone cause palpatations
- Does prednisone increases the blood sugar levels
- High dose prednisone taper
- Can prednisone cause thrush
- Tapering prednisone cause a rash
- Heat rash caused by prednisone
- High sugars and heart palpitations from prednisone
- Can prednisone cause drowsiness
- Prednisone withdrawal high dose
- Have sugar in urine can prednisone cause this
- What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...
- What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...
- Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?
- What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?
- Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
- What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person
- What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?