Can Prednisone be taken in half?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is it ok to break prednisone pill for half dose and swallow? Online some say yes and some say it will absorb to quick and no. Is it safe? And next is there interactions between prednisone,amoxicilin,flexeril and atarax ?thanks for your help! Ear/sinus infection/TMJ/Neck and some anxeity. I been presrcibed all these but not at the same time by same Dr. so wanted to check before i used them all together and again wanted to make sure i could break a prednisone to take? Thank you!!!
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prednisone can be broken

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I am MD pharmacology and will help you as best as I can.

A tablet which is sustained or delayed release type of tablet, cannot be broken. A simple tablet can be broken. Only the dose will lessen (approximately halved) after breaking the tablet. Even if it gets absorbed a lit quicker, it will not do much harm. Harm can happen if its taken for more than a few days. It can suppress the HPA axis.

These 4 medicines can be taken without any obvious interaction with each other.
Only thing is that none of these is to be taken for prolonged periods.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee