Can Prednisone be taken for acute sinus infection?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was just diagnosed with an acute sinus infection and given MethylPrednisolone tablets 4mg. Plus with a sore throat I was given Azithromycin 500mg. I am female and 65 years old. Is the Prednisone necessary?? I don't want to have issues down the road with bone or muscle problems as I play a lot of sports still??
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I don't think this is necessary unless you have some serious breathing difficulties. Metylrednisolone is not routinely used for sinusitis. However, those side effects that you have mentioned can occur only after long term use of steroids. If it has been planned to have it just for several days then you should not be afraid of these. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng