Can Postpone-72 pill be taken to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
This s XXXXXXX am married and now a mother of 1 year old female baby,last week I had a dnc of 6 weeks embryo , this week we had a unprotected sexual intercourse with no previous contraception, now I have an idea of taking postpone 72...whether is it gud for my case, will there be any side effects.. what can be the best contraception ever to use Pl. do suggest
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Postpone 72 can be taken

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Yes, you can take emergency contraceptive pill postpone 72 safely within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. The side effects of these pills is delay in the next expected periods, and sometimes irregular spotting.
The best contraception to use can be either oral contraceptive pills like Femilon or have a copper T (IUCD) inserted.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T