question-icon

Can Ponstan postpone periods?

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015
Question: Can ponstan stop your period.I took it 2 days in advance of my expected period as instructed and no bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Dr.Albana Sejdini (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Wait for a few more days,spotting at first,then,clear blood...

Detailed Answer:

Ponstan (the generic mephenamic acid) is an anti-inflammatory and pain killer medication. It can reduce the pain during menstrual cycle. It works by stopping the production of prostaglandin (a hormone like substance), which is a vasodilatator and can cause heavy periods.

If you have suffered of heavy periods, the doctor prescribed to take 2 to 3 days before your due date. They won't stop your periods because it is not a hormone, but will reduce bleeding.

You should wait for a few more days for bleeding to start. Perhaps you won't see a clear blood but only spotting for the first day, until full bleeding will appear.

Hope it answered to your query! Let me know if you need further clarifications!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Dr.Albana Sejdini