Can Plan B cause brown vaginal discharge?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: I took plan b and a week later experienced brown discharge, it is now ghoing on 11 days of brown discharge and it won't stop, is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but plan B pill contains a large dose of progesterone and it is expected after plan b pill to experience spotting with red or brown discharge that can be prolonged and can stop for a few days and then start over again.. Also your period may be delayed and it might take a few months before it returns to your regular menstrual habit.. I hope you find this helpful.. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 35 hours later
I am currently on birth control, would it help my body get back on track to get off of the pill? I am also experiencing acne on my neck since a couple of days ago? Are the hormones also affecting my skin or is if stress? The discharge is really dark brown and now has some red also is that normal?
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,
hello again..

If your have already started oral contraceptive pills then I would recommend that you complete its course this cycle until your next period provided that you have taken a pregnancy test and you are sure you are not pregnant ( plan b success rate is 95%, this means there is a 5% failure rate ).. if the pregnancy test is negative continue on oral contraceptive pills till your next period, if your period is late then stop taking any medications until things go back to normal..
yes , it is normal that you experience different colors of bloody secretions after taking plan b pill.

I hope you find this helpful.if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.. kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj