question-icon

Can Paroxetine be taken for depression?

Posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2016
Question: I have been prescribed Paroxetine HCL 40mg. From what I can tell it is for depression which I do not and have never suffered from. Should I just discontinue or am I missing another reason for its use? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I think you need to continue

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Paroxetine is a SSRI group of antidepressant. Although it is classified as Antidepressant its works extends much beyond the depression. It is effective in treatment of depression, phobic disorders, anxiety disorders, PTSD, OCD and lot more conditions.

In your case it seems that it was prescribed for control of racing mind. I understand that clonazepam works well but clonazepam can not be continued for long time due to addiction potential. Over a time we need something which do not have addiction propensity and paroxetine fulfills this criteria.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist