Can Pantoprazole, Oxycodone and Fluoxetine be taken together?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am on over 10 prescription s and worried about if they compatible with each other. I have slot of stomach issues.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there are some interactions

Detailed Answer:

let me start from the obvious: pantoprazole and omeprazole should not be used together because they belong to the same drug class, that is they're similar drugs.

There are also some (more important problems) with the rest of the drugs.
Trazodone, oxycodone and fluoxetine may interact with each other and increase the risk for serotonin syndrome which is a serious and potentially fatal syndrome. This syndrome may present with various symptoms including hallucinations, altered consciousness, shivering, tremor, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, nausea, confusion, tachycardia, unstable blood pressure, sweating, abdominal cramps, etc.
Oxycodone, trazodone, baclofen, fluoxetine, butalbital may increase the risk for central nervous system side effects like dizziness, drowsiness, etc. If they're well tolerated then this is OK...

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
I will stop either the omeprzole or thepantroprazole. No problem. I am a little confused about the other things. I take trazodone, for a sleep aid, fluoxetine for depression and oxycodone for when the pain is unbearable. What do you suggest?
Baclofen for my stomach, which was prescribed by a GI Doctor while I was in the hospital. Should I stop that? Butalbital is taken as needed for migraines.
I is all overwhelming and a little confused as to what to do.

I will stop either the omeprzole or the pantoprazole. No problem.
I am a little confused about the other things. I take trazodone as a sleep aid, fluoxetine for depression and oxycodone when the pain is unbearable. What would you suggest. Sounds like it might be a bad combo?
Baclofen for my stomach prescribed by a GI Doctor while I was in the hospital. Should I stop that? Butalbital as needed for migraines.
It is all overwhelming and not sure how to proceed. ???
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should talk about it with your pcp

Detailed Answer:
First of all, let me clarify that I can't - and won't try to - substitute your doctor. All I know about you and your history can fit in a couple of lines, so I shouldn't really give you any advice.

I can share my thoughts though and perhaps you can use them to discuss this matter with your PCP.

If trazodone is only used to help with sleep induction then substituting it for another drug might be appropriate. The interaction between oxycodone and fluoxetin is less important than their interaction with trazodone. Since oxycodone is only used circumstantial, the importance of interactions becomes even less important.

The interaction between the rest is less important too, particularly if you don't experience excessive sleepiness or incoordination with them.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng