Can PCOS or hormonal imbalance cause adenomyosis?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Can PCOS or a hormonal imbalance cause adenomyoisis?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PCOS or hormonal imbalance per say have no cause effect relationship with adenomyosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic.
I have gone through your query.
I think I have understood your concern, I will try to suggest you the best possible treatment options.
1)First of all do not panic.

2) PCOS is a lifestyle disorder of ovaries. And mainly due to Lack of exercise, high carbohydrate diet and ingestion of deep fried and bakery foods and refined sugars.
Mainly characterizes by irregular cycles, abdominal obesity, oily skin, acne, more than expected hair growth on female body.
This condition itself is a hormonal imbalance situation.

3) Adenomyosis is in growth of endometrial lining in the muscle wall of uterus. It leads to heavy and painful periods. USG findings show enlargement of uterus in size, and coarse echo texture of the muscle wall of uterus. Usually diagnosis of adenomyosis is on the pathological examination of surgically removed uterus.
PCOS or hormonal imbalance per say have no cause effect relationship with adenomyosis. In other words it does not cause adenomyosis.

I hope my answer helps you.
Thanks.
Wish you good health.
With regards
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 4 hours later
What is the main cause of adenomyoisis
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No certain cause as yet can be found out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

As per medical literature, no definite cause has been found for the or gin people onset of adenomyosis.

Various theories have been proposed by research workers , but no single proved factor could be assigned as a cause for adenomyosis.

The diagnosis of adenomyosis is mainly done on following criteria -
1. Clinical history of heavy and painful bleeding .
2. USG showing uniformly enlarged uterus with coarse echo texture of muscle walk of the uterus.
3. Post surgerical pathological examination diagnosis.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 2 days later
Can this condition of excessive bleeding cause insulin serum to go up in a non diabetic person
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is Insulin resistance.Adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Detailed Answer:
i will be happy to answer your query.

It is not the bleeding that causes serum insulin levels to rise.
This rise in non-diabetic person is due to a condition called as INSULIN RESISTANCE.
It is due repeated carbohydrate intakes, refined carbohydrates and lack of physical activity.

This is start of syndrome X / metabolic syndrome or in women leads to PCOS or group of 4 troubles called rise in blood pressure, pre diabetic situation, central ( male type) obesity and blood cholesterol abnormality.

This all can be avoided by good lifestyle changes.
usually I suggest my patients as follows-
I will suggest indulging in a healthy diet and regular exercise regime.
Include plenty of fruits, salads, vegetables in the diet.
Have adequate water intake , say 8 – 10 glasses per day.
Avoid deep fried foods, bakery products, and refined sugars.
Avoid substance abuse, if any.
Start on FOLIC ACID, B12, Omega 3 supplements.

I hope this answer helps you.

Thanks.
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 7 hours later
Is metformin necessary or can it be done with diet snd exercise only
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low carb diets, exercise will delay or abolish need of Metformin.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back.

Its a very good question.

As such, carbohydrates are of 3 types-
1.simple sugars
2.Complex carbohydrates
3.Starches.

If you skip out simple sugars and starches and try to have complex carbohydrates in moderation ( Cereals, millets and Pulses), not more than 150 to 200 gram per day in 2 to 3 divided meals , and contributing to 50 % of your daily calorie intake, that is the best for todays lifestyle.
Fruits, salads and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibers; they evoke very little sugar spurts after meals. So add it more along with each meal.

Have protein 1 gram per kg of your body weight, lean protein from eggs, fish. Avoid red meat.
This along with 20 to 30 minutes of any cardio exercise and light weight training will help lower insulin resistance.Then your need of using Metformin will either reduce or wont arise.

Ihope this answer helps you.