question-icon

Can PCOS cause elevation in DHEA levels?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: can pcos cause dhea levels to be high? my cortisol levels were normal but one cortisol level was 22.4 and my dhea was 500 wich was done last week. this happned to me when i was 19 yrs old to. these levels were high but docs said it had nothing to do with adrenals and i had the cortisol test done and it was normal so they said i had pcos but went to XXXXXXX clinic and they diagnosed me with something called 21hyroxycine deficiency. now 10 years laters my levels are high with dhea being 500 and cortisol being 22.4. i also have thyroid disease. any advice would be helpful. im so worried.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, DHEA level increase in PCOS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting healthcaremagic about your health care.
I can understand your concerns here.
Yes DHEA level can increase in PCOS also.
You were diagnosed as a case of 21- hydroxylase enzyme deficiency ( congenital adrenal hyperplasia), Are you having any other symptoms like ambiguous genitilia also.
Before giving my opinion about it I want to ask a few questions from you.
- Are you having other symptoms of PCOS like facial hair growth, obesity, scanty menses etc?Have you done your ultrasound, hormonal profile ( lh, fsh, progesterone levels), thyroid profile, Prolactin level, sodium, potassium level?
- Are you having any reports?
Please revert back to me with my answers.
Hope to hear from you soon.
-
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal (5 hours later)
no i dont have gentilla , but do have hair that grows on chin,chest,breats and stomach. its not a lot tho. it started early in puberty. have had cycts in past but havent had any ultrasounds done lately. my annuals always come back normal. i went from 140 pounds to 190 so im very unattractive due to all this this. ive always struggled with weight but worked hard to keep it off. until this year with diet and excersise ive gained 45 pounds due to hashimotos disease. im just at my ends with this. when i was 19 the dhea,acth,and testosterone were high so i had the cortisol stimulation test done and it came back normal and i even had to urinate in a jug for 24 hrs Wich was normal. so then one doc diagnosed me with pcos while XXXXXXX clinic diagnosed me with 21 hyroxylone. and yet my dhea levels are normal. doc say i dont fit the descriptions for pcos and adrenal disease but whys these levels so high. i am under a lot of stress but who wouldn't be if they were in my shoes. im always run down and never feel good. im tired of it all. just wish someone could give me a straight answer so i can move on with my life. its been 10yrs. it seems like this all started from mono.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is most probably due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency ( mild form).

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Sorry for a long delay in my response.
I have gone through your history and symptoms and feel very sorry about your problems and can understand your frustration for it.
With your history and description in my opinion it is most probably due to mild 21- hydroxylase deficiency with high androgen levels and no mineralocortical deficiency.
You should consult a good endocrinologist and get yourself examined and took hormonal supplement time to time.
You can go for reconstructive surgery.
Take healthy and balanced diet to maintain weight.
Do yoga and meditation.
Do not get depressed it will further enhanced your problem.
Hope for the best and don't be dishartened yourself.
Hopefully found useful, feel free to discuss more.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN