Can Otrinoz cause hypertension?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have been using otrinoz since last 7 years daily in the night for one sided nose congestion. in november my GP advised me to discontinue since it had made my pressure increase substantially. is otrinoz ( or otrivin) attributed to increase in blood pressure (given my prolonged use)
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can affect the blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.

If I have to answer your question in one word I'll say YES, it can affect you blood pressure.
It is topical vasoconstrictors ( construction of blood vessels), ( otrivin) xylometazoline should not be employed continuously for longer period. Not only it can affect your blood pressure, but prolonged or excessive use may cause rebound congestion.

I would suggest you to do steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it few times a day, and always before going to bed at night which will be beneficial. Drink plenty of water especially warm water.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad