Can Omeprazole be taken with magnesium supplements together?
Take magnesium with Antacids. It will be helpful.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for your query.
I have read your query and understand the concern about acid reflux.
Since you are already suffering from acid reflux (known as GERD or reflux esophagitis) from 2 years.
The acid reflux occurs due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus or at gastro-esohageal junction (gastro-esophageal sphincter).
You are taking omeprazole and there is no issue to take magnesium with it (take prilosec available over the counter).
However, according to MY advise you will also need to take prokinetic drugs (levosulpride 75 mg) along with proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole 20mg or pantoprazole 40) rather than omeprazole alone.
The above combination pills increases stomach emptying time along with effect on gasteoesophageal sphincter and for that, I will suggest you to go to a nearby pharmacy and ask the pharmacist a brand or a pill with a combination of pantoprazole 40 and levosulpride 75 OR omeprazole 20 and levosulpiride 75mg.
Taking these combination drugs with some dietary precautions will be helpful to prevent acid reflux.
Also, there are certain digestive enzymes (Uni-enzymes) available over the counter which will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production if there are.
Apart from these medications, you should also be careful with your diet.
1) Avoid oily,spicy and high fiber diet.
2) Avoid eating with full stomach rather you should eat small frequent meals.
3) Avoid taking rest for at least 2 hours after meal.
4) Should walk slowly up to first 2 hrs of meal but don't walk fast.
5) Should make regular eating pattern.
6) Have your dinner before 8 pm so that at the time of sleeping your stomach will be empty. Also, keep your head end slightly elevated during sleeping.
7) Complete smoking cessation with alcohol if you take.
All these cumulative effect will be gradually beneficial to you while treating for the acid reflux.
For borderline osteoporosis,vitamin D (cholecalciferol) sachets or tablets along with your calcium citrate supplements.It will be helpful.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Omeprazole magnesium difference
- Omeprazole with or without magnesium
- Esomeprazole magnesium vs omeprazole
- Why magnesium in omeprazole
- Omeprazole and magnesium interaction
- Can magnesium supplement be taken with amitryptiline
- Should magnesium supplements be taken for headache
- Omeprazole magnesium vs nexium
- Magnesium supplements benefits of magnesium
- Difference between omeprazole and omeprazole magnesium
- Suggest treatment for IBS while on Thyroxine
- What do white bumps on lips indicate?
- What causes a flush like feeling behind the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for sneezing along with congestion and cold head
- Is applying Onabet and Futop in vaginal area safe?
- Suggest treatment for dizziness and exhaustion
- What causes small lump on lower back?
- Is pain at the back of head relates to the heart?
- What causes itching sensation on anal area post defecation?
- Is it safe to take Plavix when on BP and diabetes medication?