Can Omeprazole be taken for a long duration?

Dr. Santosh Desai

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have taken omeprazole for around 10 years. I have been reading that it should only be taken for short periods of time. I have had a D3 deficiency, and wondering if omeprazole contributes to that problem. Also, the Dr prescribed 50,000 units of D3 which caused stomach issues, is it possible that 50,000 is too much for me?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Desai 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Omeprazzole is not related to D3 deficiency.dosage of d3 is correct

Detailed Answer:
DEAR USER,
THANKS FOR CONSULTING WITH HCM

I understand your concern.

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhinitor used basically in patients with gastritis, dyspepsia and GERD.Though the side effects of omeprazole are very few long term use is associated with certain side effects

But the data upto now suggest no relation of Omeprazole and Vitamin D3 deficiency.

Your stomach issues appear to be long term as you have mentioned a long term use of omeprazole.. I would like to know more of exactly what your stomach issues are.? is it associated with burning sensation in chest? any history of nausea or vomiting? does food consumption cause pain abdomen? Have they increased after consumption of Vitamin D?

regarding your concern of side effects of omeprazole i am mentioning some side effects with long term use. it includes

1)Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD): Use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may increase risk.

2)Cutaneous and systemic lupus erythematosus

3) Interstitial nephritis

Hence you need to consult a physician or gastroenterologist to find the exact cause of your stomach issues and get the drugs properly prescribed

Your doctor has probably prescribed you a weekly Dosage of 50000 unit of Vitamin D3 which is used for treatment of vitamin D deficiency. But this dosage is prescribed for 8 weeks after which it is reduced a maintainence dosage. You need to consult your doctor after 8 weeks and get your serum 25(OH)D levels checked.

I would like to know the reason why vitamin D3 was prescribed to you.. ?at your age it is usually prescribed at a dosage of 5000 units/week as prophylaxis for osteoporosis prevention

With excessive doses symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation, dehydration, fatigue, irritability, confusion, weakness and/or weight loss.

Hence the exact reason for the prescription is needed.

HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUERY. YOU CAN MESSAGE ME FOR ANY FURTHER CONCERNS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj