Can Omeprazole and Tums be taken together to manage acidity?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my husband takes omeprazole 40 mg. is that enough by itself or should you take tums with it? occasionally when he overeats or eats greasy food he needs to take tums . it seems to me that the prescription pill should be enough by itself. if he needs to take otc pills then omeprazole is not doing its job. what is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can switch to see if get better results

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I agree to a large extent. Omeprazole and other medications in this family of drugs work by decreasing the acid produced by the stomach, they can sometimes take 5 to 7 days of consistent use before a person can feel an effect because they cannot get rid of the acid present but only reduce future levels.

It can take a few days as the acid already there, decreases.

If he is taking them daily then they should be working, if this is not happening , then he may want to consider switching to another one such as nexium , prevacid to see if one of these would work better.

Unfortunately the medication cannot completely suppress acid production so this is the reason that acid reflux treatment normally requires lifestyle changes along with medications.
In the majority of persons unfortunately, the use of acidic, spicy, fatty or a lot of food would cause some symptoms to occur though he can still switch and see if he gets better control.

The symptoms may not be as bad as if the medication was not being used, they may be worse if he wasn't on anything at all.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions