Can Olanzapine cause respiratory tract infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: In 2011 I went for hiv test I was told that I was positve after that I have done several test after 6 month, 2years and all the test showed negative. I am already on olanzapine for bipolar. I have cold that is not healing please is it the olanzapine or Iam infected. The last time my cd4 was checked it was 410. I have taken olanzapine since 2005.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not seem to be infected

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, I have gone through your question and I can understand your concerns.

It seems that the first test result was a false positive result since the following tests showed negative result and since the time interval between both negative results was more than six weeks.

However, olanzapine can cause various respiratory side effects including rhinitis, sinusitis, nasopharyngitis and respiratory tract infections and probably it is the cause of your flu symptoms ...

I hope I answered your question ... Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 26 minutes later
Please doctor what should I do now. My doctors say I do well on olanzapine. Can you suggest any treatment.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I agree with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I would not recommend that you change olanzapine since you are responding well to it.. It will take time and effort to get accustomed to another medication . however I would recommend symptomatic treatment of your cold symptoms by an antihistaminic as citrizine once daily before going to bed .. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng