Can Ofloxacin and Metronidazole suspension be given along with probiotics and prebiotics?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 28 Dec 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 1 1/2 year old son, prescribed "ofloxacin and metronidazole suspension" and "Pre & Probiotic Sachet".
Is it safe?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I expect that it is for diarrhea - please do not use antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I expect that it is for diarrhea (which is a common practice) - please do not use antibiotics like Ofloxacin and Metronidazole.

Pre and Probiotic you can use.

But as your son is having blood in the stools I suggest you use Cefixime (This is recommended by WHO) at 8mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses, for a period of 5 days. But this is a prescription medicine and an antibiotic and you will need one for it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
1) "Ofloxacin and Metronidazole", is this cause any side effects?
2) Why my child has blood in stool? any reason? diet problem?
3) He frequently had a stomach infection (diarrea, very watery stools - prescribed antibiotics). But this is the first time he has blood in stool. Is the previous infections is the problem now?
4) Is this situation is serious?
5) What can i do to prevent these types of infection on my child?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like bacillary dysentery

Detailed Answer:
Hi...coming to your queries directly.

1. Ofloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and not indicated for a simple bacterial diarrhea. Antibiotics should never be used like a combination like this.

2. Looks like bacterial diarrhea - that is the reason for blood in stools.

3. Previous infections are not the issue. Chidren of this age keep everythingin mouth causing bacterial diarrhea.

4. This is not serous if he is active and passing urine well.

5. Just prevent him from mouthing objects and hygienic diet will do.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 hours later
We have visited a doctor. He prescribed

Metronidazole and norfloxacin suspension (2.5 ml for 3 times a day)

and

Lactobacillus sporogenes with fructo oligosaccharides powder (1 packet a day)

Whether these are safe for my child ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not use antibiotic combinations - they are not approved

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I suggest you not to use antibiotic combination medicines like (Norfloxacin Metronidazole0 or (Ofloxacin and Metronidazole).

Lactobacillus sporogenes with fructo oligosaccharides powder - This is a pre and probiotic and you can use it safely.

As there is blood in the stools - antibiotic is indicated, but as I suggested use a single antibiotic and not a combination of antibiotics.

Will explain you how a diarrhea behaves so that you can be more confident.

Bacterial or viral diarrhea - Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth