Can OPV vaccination be taken twice in a gap of one month?
My baby is 9 months old. She has not taken OPV vaccination ( pneumonia). We are going to Australia next month. Doctor asked to take the 2 doses of vaccination,in a gap of 1 month. I'm not sure whether we could take both the doses before going. Is there any adverse effect,if we couldn't not take the second dose or both
No adverse effect - please go ahead with vaccines
Hi....coming to your queries one by one -
1. It is not OPV, it is PCV or pneumococcal vaccine.
2. Your doctor is right in advising you to take the vaccine.
3. You can take 2 doses of the vaccine in a gap of one month. There will not be any adverse effects. At the most there might be some mold fever or pain...but not common with PCV. There are two brands, I suggest you prefer to take Prevenar, though slightly costly.
4. Even if you are not able to take the second dose, you can as well take it after going to Australia. The booster will have to be given between 16-18 months of age.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Is it compulsory to take second dose too
Give second injection 1 month from the first and booster at 16-18 months
1. Give second injection 1 month after the first injection. It is the prescribed dose internationally approved. So it is compulsory to take it. This vaccine will prevent Invasive pneumococcal disease.
2. Booster is not a different injection. It is the same injection but it is called a booster because it will boost the child's immunity to the maximum extent possible. Give booster at 16-18 months of age.
PLEASE REMEMBER ONE IMPORTANT THING. VACCINATION IS LIKE WEARING A HELMET. WHETHER THERE IS A RULE OR NOT, IF YOU WEAR IT - YOU WILL BE PROTECTED. SIMILARLY VACCINATION ALSO PREVENTS KIDS FROM GETTING SERIOUS BUT PREVENTABLE DISEASES.
If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it. Please find the link below -
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Painless vaccine of dpt and opv
- Can child be given double dose of opv vaccine
- Is loose motion in a baby side effect of opv
- Why opv first dose is known as zero dose
- Can measles vaccine be taken twice
- Opv dpt ipv painless
- Is dpt and opv vaccine still necessary at age 7?
- Painless vaccination of opv and dpt
- Is dpt opv compulsory vaccine
- Opv and dpt injection baby with g6pd