Can Nystatin and Humira be taken when suffering from trush?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I have recently been diagnosed with Thrush. Is it safe to take nystatin oral susp and Humira every two weeks for my Psoriasis
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Less likely chance of any drug interaction

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I understand your concern regarding using nystatin along with Humira.

Humira is an anti inflammatory drug which is quite effective in treatment of psoriasis and it has many side effects, the most common being increased susceptibility to infections caused by viruses and fungi.

Thrush is a superficial infection caused by candida and is one of the common infections occurring in patients taking Humira.

There have been studies indicating less likely chance of drug interactions between nystatin and Humira.

You can take nystatin safely for 10 to 14 days but please discuss this with your treating doctor before starting any antifungal treatment.

You can find more details about Humira at this link:
https://www.humira.com

I hope I have helped you with this answer.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.