• question-icon

Can Norco and Percocet cause water retention?

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, had surgery 10 days ago and I'm healing nicely. (Scar repair from a previous abdominoplasty healing gone wrong).

I have been alternating on 2 different pain meds, Norco and Percocet. I noticed yesterday that I'm retaining water in my feet and calves. Can the medication be the cause of water retention? I've been drinking protein shakes during the day and water or green tea and eating low-carb meals for dinner with a glass of wine. this my typical diet. Since surgery, I've gained 5 lbs when I should be losing weight. I've never had this happen before so I'm wondering the prescriptions can be causing the problem with extremely swollen & puffy feet?

I'd like know if this will eventually subside as I reduce and eventually discontinue the use of pain meds over the next few days.

Thank you kindly for your time,

XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are not side effects of these pain medications!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this fluid retention and the edema that you have reported. I have reviewed these medications and are not typical side effects of these drugs. I will suggest that you start by reducing your volume of fluids and salt intake and monitoring your weight daily. If this fails to regress, then I will suggest that you seek a medical consultation to evaluate the kidneys, liver and nutritional status.

I wish you well. Best wishes and hope to hear back from you. If you have further questions, please pose them right away and I will respond to them.
Dr. Ivo Ditah