Can Nitrofurantoin help cure UTI?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i have been taking erythamiacin for an uti but wondering if I should be taking nitrofur instead. I used it a while back and it worked.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the drug. Equally effective. Nitrofur for special cases

Detailed Answer:
hi and thanks for the query

it is also very effective for urinary tract infections. nitrofur is also very effective especially in situations of drugs resistance to other antibiotics . continue taking the drug as prescribed .

in case you are have recurrent urinary tract infections , it is important to screen for diabetes , do a urine culture and consequently see a urologist in case the problem is not diabetes or some drug resistant infection. recurrent urinary tract infections deserve a proper investigation of their causes.

if not I think your drug is ok. No need to worry

kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T