Can Nitrofurantoin cause itchy rashes?

Question
started taking nitrofurantoin for uti yesterday and tonight i have a large ,itchy rash on thigh.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care, if rash persists, request change of antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Nitrofurantoin can cause rash and itching some times.Most of the times, use of low dose hydrocortisone cream helps. If the issue still persists, your doctor may give you alternate antibiotic for UTI. Fosfomycin 3 gm sachets are quite friendly and easy to use every 72 hours for 5 to 7 doses. Consult your physician and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan