Can Nitrofurantoin Mac be taken at night after consuming it in the evening?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in General Health
Question: My doctor prescribed nitrofur mac 100 mg cap 1 twice daily. I took one at 5:15 pm when I got the pills, should I take one tonight or should I wait for morning then taking one and one tomorrow night? Should I ask her if I should see a urologist?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take one daily at any time

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, for recurrent UTIs you need to have prophylactic antibiotics like the one you have been started at, and in this case you can take it once daily at any time with your preference and schedule but it's better to get at night as usually renal clearnace and drugs residue stay in urinary tract for long and through blood levels and renal levels both way it can help to combat the buggs causing trouble.

You don't need to repeat dose tonight and from tomorrow you can take it once daily from tomorrow night.

For recurrent UTis ultrasound KUB, and urine cultures once off antibiotics, to exactly identify the bug responsible. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope It has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana