Can Nexito and Etirest be abruptly discontinued?

Dr. Ravi Soni

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old, male. Two years ago in 2013 I took Rexipra 5 mg and etizolam 0.5 mg daily for one week and rexipra 10mg and etizolam 0.5mg for the next week. Total of 15 days. I did not feel any change. So the doctor increased the dose to nexito 10mg daily and tablet etirest 0.25 mg daily. I took this for three to four days. Total 18days. I did not find any change in my mood so i quit the med on my own. Since then i have not taken any medicine and i feel good and normal. Does quitting meds suddenly like this have some kind of a permanent damage to the brain or the body? If yes when does it gets back to normal? Do i need to consult any doctor personally in this regard or should i continue living happily as i feel now.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Quiting drugs suddenly do not cause any damage

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing thrpugh HCM.

I have read your query and understood your concerns.

Many people have mood fluctuations with stress in their life that is called reactive depression and it is very common. If it was the scenario with you then the symptoms may improve with resolution of stress.

If you are happy at present without any symptoms the you need not worry about the drugs you had taken and stopped suddenly in the past.

These drugs do not cause any permanent damage to brain upon abrupt withdrawal.

You do not need to consult any doctor for these and leave this matter. Live happily and enjoy your life.

I feel that I have answered your query. If you have any doubt then you can ask at any time. Don't forget to rate the answer.

Dr Ravi Soni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Soni 23 minutes later
The duration of my medicines and its dosage is given in my query. Putting it simply, does this medication course of 18 days is even significant to think about abrupt withdrawl symptoms? And what are the antidepressant withdrawal symptoms like impaired hunger, foggy brain the internet is flooded with? Does that even apply to my case. I just want to be sure thats all. That is why i want to rely to a professional like you. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should not think about symptoms withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing again.

You were given escitalopram which is a SSRI antidepressant. It acts by increasing the level of neurochemical serotonin in brain. Usually drugs show it's effects after 15 days only.

Withdrawal symptoms usually develop when drug has shown it's effects but in your case you have taken it for only 18 days and that also without any improvement. So In my opinion you shall not have any problem due to abrupt withdrawal of the drug.

Withdrawal symptoms will not apeear in your case because the duration of use of drugs is very small. So I feel that you must relax and do not think about all these evwnts which is a past now.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have further doubts then close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you a healthy life.