Can Neurontin help in treating hemifacial spasm?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is neurotin a medication that can help hemifacial spasms, and if so, what doseage is most often prescribed?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can take Neurontin

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P

I think its neurontin which contains Gabapentin . Yes this medicine can be used for Hemifacial spasm ( though my first choice is Carbamazepine )

The dose varies from 300mg to 1800 mg which will be decided by the treating doctor.

Apart from this information I would like to add that the first choice of treatment for Hemifacial spasm is Botulinum toxin injection.

Also the cause for hemifacial spasm has to be evaluated and if anything that can be cured through surgery is found then surgery has to be considered.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Dr. Divakara