Can Naproxen be taken immediately to effectively treat pain from a meniscus tear?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a repair of a torn meniscus in my left knee today. I was given a Norco tablet at 4:00 p.m. and sent home with a prescription of Hydrocodone/acetaminophen and told I should also take Naproxen. The h/a is for my brain and the naproxen for pain relief etc. I was not told when to start all of this: however, I was told to stay on the pain med regimen even if I felt no pain because if I don’t and the pain starts, it will several hours getting it back under control. So, am I correct that I should start tonight then?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Yes, you can

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you can start these medicines from tonight. You can also take some antacid like Pantoprazole for acidity as these pain killer can cause gastritis.

All pain killer medicine should be taken after a meal.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon