• question-icon

Can Naltrexone be used to treat alcohol abuse?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I have had a history of occasional binge drinking. Now over 65 and would like to control it. Most of the time I am within 2-3 beers a day but recently some stressful events have caused me to drink more heavily.
Looking into Naltrexone. Any other recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Disulfiram can be used to reduce craving

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

If you are not a regular drinker and are binge drinking occasionally then I don't think there is need to take medicines.

Since you are motivated to cut down alcohol use so Naltrexone can be used. The drug will help to reduce the use. Disulfiram can be used to reduce craving and will definitely help you. You can think of taking either of these drugs.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist