Can Nadolol while treating severe sleep apnea and atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Tue, 2 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello,
I have a history of severe Apnea and had 1 Afib occurance. Finally went to another specialist and he determined I had a hiatal Hernia that was causing my esophagus to rub on Atrium causing rhythm disturbance. I was taking Metatropol 25mg 4 times a day (I split 4 times rather than 50X2day because of half life. New Cardiologist put me on Nadalol 20mg 2 times a day and Nexium 40mg. I feel great no issues. I just think my pulse is too low ranging from 45-55 in morning to 50-60 during the day. I just took it and its 48. Is this too low and when should I get nervous? I feel great but really relaxed, Nadalol works great but it seems too much?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

As long as you feel great and relaxed, you shouldn't worry about Nadalol dosage. It's working perfectly as long as HR during the day is between 50-60 and you feel great.

It's not working to much and you don't need to reduce the dosage.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 55 minutes later
Thanks for the update. My pulse is going in high 40's during rest in morning (okay?). Usually in 50's rest of day. I have no light headed, just a little tired, no tingling anywhere and ankles look good no water retention. Nadalol works so much better for me than metatropol. I am still surprised that esophagus could touch atrium....Went to XXXXXXX Clinic . Again thank you
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

If you are a little tired and you don't tolerate this well you may try to reduce the evening dose ( half the current dose).

However if you tolerate well you don't need to change the dose.

It's very common in patient with hiatal hernia that espphagus will be on close contact with heart. This will cause palpitations and arrhythmia.

Hope this was of help!
Dr.Benard
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist