Can Mupiricin ointment be used for nasal treatment?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in General Health
Question: I have an ointment for presugrery for nasal application. It is called Mupiricin USP 2%. I am supposed to have a prescription for the nasal introduction, but the tube says for dermatologic use only. It is Sat night so I cannot call dr.s office, or case manager at hospital. Is this ointment ok to use for the nasal treatment?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes use it.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. You can use mupirocin in your nose , the main aim is to target staphylococcus aureus which is widely present there due to lower temperature in nostrils. Mupirocin will take care of staph and make nostrils ready for tomorrow for nasal instruments. So yes, it is ok to use it fo rnasal treatment.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards XXXXXXX