Can Mucinex be taken for atrial fibrillation?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Can I take mucinex since I have AFib? Have been in sinus rhythm since XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

If your doctor suggested Mucinex, she probably means just straight Mucinex, which is guaifenesin only.

Guaifenesin is a mucolytic, which means it thins out mucus, making it easier to pass naturally or for you to clear it. For it to work well, it requires that you drink a lot of water with it. Guaifenesin is safe medication that has been around a long time.

It's up to you whether you want to use long acting or just take it on a regular basis. Either way plain guaifenesin is safe in atrial fibrillation.

You can get a generic (guaifenesin), or if you want to go with the brand Mucinex, just check the active ingredients listed on the box to make sure that the only thing in it is guaifenesin.

You asked about DM: DM means that the preparation has dextromethorphan in it which is used as a cough suppressant. If you feel you also need a cough suppressant, you can get a preparation that also has DM.

The thing you don't want to take with atrial fibrillation, is pseudoephedrine, which is a decongestant. That can raise blood pressure and heart rate.

You did not list any medications that you might currently be taking, so I didn't cross-check these medications with any others. If you are taking any medications, please let me know and I will cross-check them for safety.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Thank you. That was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome!

I just want to add that while guaifenesin is a very safe drug, dextromethorphan does have some risk of side effects. However, both are ok regarding atrial fibrillation.

I hope you are feeling better soon!