Can Morning after pill and Norethisterone pill be taken together?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi. I just had unprotected sex and will be taking the morning after pill tomorrow morning. Thing is, I have been planning to go to the doctor to ask if I could take norethisterone to delay my period as I am going overseas where looking after my period will be hard due to the climate and third world condition of the place (difficult access to toilet and water).
I am on day 10 of my menstrual cycle (unsure if I am in my ovulation phase or the BEFORE ovulation phase) and I am leaving overseas on the 27th of July which is a week away and just going until the 5th of August.
I would just like to know whether taking the morning after pill will make me bleed earlier or later? And whether I can still take the norethisterone pill.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Following are my comments:

1) You should take Morning After Pill within first 24 hrs of sex (sooner is better) to get maximum protection (more than 95%) and avoid minimal chance of unwanted pregnancy as you are now on 10th day of cycle.

2) As you leave overseas and want to avoid withdrawal bleeding (due to effect of the morning after pill) during those days, then I would suggest you to take Norethisterone Pill from the next day and continue up to 5th August. It will be more effective. You will get your period within 3-5 days after stopping the pill.

Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this and take complete prescription.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself. Happy journey.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow-up: Can Morning after pill and Norethisterone pill be taken together? 11 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Soumen for your reply,

Just to clarify, so should I take the norethisterone pill the day after taking the morning after pill or the day after I travel overseas which will be the 28th.

Awaiting your reply thank you

Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

You should start taking Norethisterone pill (twice daily) the day after taking the morning after pill as you can't predict the day of withdrawal bleeding and it can mess up your holidays.

Hope, it helps to understand properly. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck and all the best.

Dr Soumen