Owl Image

Can Mirena implant cause mood swings and depression?

Question
Hi, my daughter-in-law has a Mirena implant which her doctor seems to be reluctant to take out. It was implanted about three weeks after the birth of her daughter, who was born May 9th, 2008. The pregnancy was a difficult one with intractable vomiting. After the birth, she had "post eclampsia", where her blood pressure shot up and she had a small stroke. She was in intensive care for three days, I believe, before she was moved to the floor. The implant was put in then. That was around the end of May, 2008. She is now having mood swings, depression, and an aversion to leaving her home. Her OB is no longer practicing, and her family doctor isn't concerned about how long the implant has been in. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The IUD needs to be removed.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

In the current scenario, not only should the IUD be removed, she also needs to be properly evaluated by a specialist. Please find out if this is possible and go for it.

As the contraception is no longer in place, if she has regular sexual activity, pregnancy should be excluded.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.