Can Miralax be used for long term?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: my doctor told to take miralax daily. Can I take it for and unlimited amount of time? I am currently on the diabetes medication Invokana and the doc tor said it can make you dehydrated therefore severely constipated? also how often should I take the miralax and hoow long does it take to work?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Miralax can be used for long-term treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Miralax is a laxative solution that increases the amount of water in the intestinal tract to stimulate bowel movements.
It can be prescribed for long-term use.No serious side effects are reported in long-term use of Miralax.

Invokana (canagliflozin ) is used to treat Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.It mechanism of action consist in reducing renal glucose reabsorption and increasing urinary glucose excretion.This glucose is followed by excessive water excretion and it may cause dehydration and constipation.
So it is true that Invokana can cause constipation as a side effect and this can aggravate a persistent constipation.
It is important to drink plenty of fluids during the treatment.

Miralax is given once a day (don't use it more ) 17 g dissolved in any 4 to 8 ounces of beverage.
It may take 1-3 days to work properly.

Although using Miralax every day for long-term ,it is thought to be safe,I would suggest first to try diet and lifestyle modifications to treat constipation including:

-Eat foods that contain plenty of fiber including fruit and vegetables ( eat at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day),wholegrain breads and cereals.
-Drink plenty of fluids (2-3 liter a day).
-Exercise regularly every day.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati