Can Minoxidil solution be used to boost facial hair growth?

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I am 28 years old. I have less moustache growth. I do not have smoking or drinking habits. Can I apply monoxidil lotion on my face to boost moustache hair growth?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not recommended

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Minoxidil is mainly for scalp hair growth. It is not approved for use in face. Scalp skin is different from face skin. Most patients who used it off label reports unwanted side effects like itching, redness, unwanted hair growth etc.

So it is not recommended.

Please check your hormonal parameters like testosterone, LH, FSH, thyroid function test and prolactin to see if you have some hormonal cause for decreased hair growth.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajish TP 47 hours later

Thanks for your answer. Which specialist doctor should I consult.
Should I consult with Endocrinologist or any any other specialist for this problem.
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an endocrinologist first

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

Consult an Endocrinologist first, who will evaluate you for any medical illness causing decreased hair growth. If all tests are normal you can consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon if planning for hair transplant.

Dr Ajish TP