• question-icon

Can Minoxidil and Finasteride be taken together?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor

I have been using Minoxidil since 1st Dec 2015 and now after four months. Have started using finasteride 1mg (Finax) since one month. Find attached the pictures for your reference. I see no improvement after 4 months of treatment. Before that I was using Homeopathic medicines which I stopped in XXXXXXX 2016 mid since last 23 months.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to continue with both minoxidil and finasteride for another 3-6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing back

I have reviewed the Images.

I would like to make few points:

Minoxidil and finasteride, together work much better than minoxidil alone. However, since its been just 1 months since you started finasteride therefore it is too early to judge improvement. It takes at least 3-6 months for a visible improvement. Moreover, even minoxidil shows positive results only after 3 months of regular use. Hence, I suggest you to continue with both of these for at least 6 months to have a noticeable improvement. This is because scalp hair grows slowly i.e just 1 cm in a month so any visible improvement will take at least 3-6 months or up to an year for maximum effects. Thereafter, treatment is to be continued, preferably life long to maintain the improvement.
The goal of medical treatment is to arrest further progression. Hair transplant is the most effective and permanent treatment to regain hair density and cover bald areas. You can explore this possibility. Any which ways, medical treatment is to be continued even after a hair transplant.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist