• question-icon

Can Minocycline, Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin and Fosfomycin be taken for chronic bacterial prostatitis?

Posted on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dr XXXXXXX

I have a three year history of Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis and have been on multiple antibiotics that no longer work. Those being Septra, Doxycycline,and Cipro. I have also taken Augmentin and Keflex. I am under the care of an ID doctor but wanted to see what my options are. I believe Minocycline and Norfloxacin and Orfloxacin might be possibilities although they are closely related to the Doxy and Cipro. I have also read about Fosfomycin as a trial agent.

Your thoughts?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics determined from urine culture

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the health situation youare in. .

Indeed, the treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis include the long term use of the antibiotics. The antibiotic of choice is selected based on the results of urine culture.

It is also true that fluoroquinolones (e.g. cipro, norfloxacin, ofloxacin ) and septra with doxy/minocycline are antibiotics of choice. However, once again they are selected based on urine culture.

With regards to Fosfomycin, it has shown good effects in some clinical trials and is used only when other antibiotics are failing.

I advise to :
- run urine culture
- if ofloxacin or norfloxacin are sensitive, start using them
- consider taking additional inflammatory medications
- diet changes, sitz bath can be helpful

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini