Can Minipill be abruptly discontinued?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Dr im 44 years old women with 2 cysts,one in each of ovaries, 2 cm and 1 1/2 cm, i also have 3 years taking the XXXXXXX pill(progesterone only) but i was taking wrong all those 3 years, my gynecologist never told me i had to take this pill every day, so i was taking it and when i was having my period i was stoping the pill and starting a new pack after my period end, well my new doctor told me to take the progesterone pill every day, im getting worst and worst , i have almost two months taking it every day, i have my period two weeks ago with the worst episode of diarrhea, as soon as my period end my diarrhea stop as well but not the pain in my lower back and my pelvic area, nothing work with the pain, i was so desperate that i ended drinking organic soy milk , one cup three times a day and thats the only thing that is really helping me with my pain, how is that possible? i want to stop my progesterone pill but im afraid to disrupt my hormones even more, please help me doctor!!
Answered by Dr. Soumya 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop minipills

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns about minipill.

Stopping minipill not cause any significant hormonal variations as your body hormones will be capable of handling the variations.

If your body is unable to adjust after stopping pills, you can consider taking oral contraceptive pills available over the counter which will be better way to manage hormonal variations.

Meanwhile continue having organic soy milk.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng