• question-icon

Can Metronidazole cause sun sensitivity?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking metronidazole 500mg and ciprofloxacin hcl 500mg for diverticulitis since friday 6/23. The metronidazole lists not being in the sun. I am going on vacation to the beach on 7/1. Is there a medication i can take to replace the metronidazole that doesnt have this limitation.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
augmentin or clindamycin, sun just refers to storage of product not exposur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Metronidazole is one of the better medications that is used for diverticular disease and other conditions of the colon.
Also used for other infections as well.

It is important to remember that this refers to the storage of the antibiotic, where it is kept most of the time.
Occasional exposure would not be harmful

It is used in the tropics, I have prescribed it on numerous occasions. It would only be a problem if you take it with you to the beach but if you store it in your hotel room , this would be fine.

If you still wish to switch, you can consider clindamycin or some persons use augmentin, which is also effective as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Is augmentin as effective? While on vacation i would like to have a glass of wine with dinner. I noticed i cannot have any alcohol while on metronidazole... not even in food. Also, it takes 3 days to get out of system. Could i have a glass of wine with augmentin?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
one small glass daily may be okay

Detailed Answer:
HI

It may be okay to use one glass of wine. Some persons experience dizziness and drowsiness with augmentin (this may not be the case for you).
This can be worse with the use of excess alcohol because it can also cause these effects.

please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Are these the same affects with clindamycin, drowsiness and diziness
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
not a common effect

Detailed Answer:
HI

No, clindamycin is not commonly associated with dizziness and drowsiness , it can possibly have GI effects in some persons (not all persons) eg nausea, vomiting, diarrhea

It is important to remember that side effects of any medication may or may not occur.
There are some side effects that occur in the minority of persons

If anything is unclear , can let me know
Dr. Michelle Gibson James