Can Metronidazole affect the efficacy of birth control pills?

Question
Can metronidazole affect how effective my birth control works? I was prescribed it the 13th for BV my boyfriend and I had sex on 17th but we forgot to use a condom. I take my pill everyday I have been taking it for a year. My period was due yesterday and I don't have it.
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Having metronidazole for BV just once will not affect the efficacy of birth control pill much. If you are having the pill regularly then there is no need to worry. You can test your urine for pregnancy before starting with the new pack. The delay in periods can be due to post pill amenorrhea. Pregnancy is least likely.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
I hope this answers your query.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: Can Metronidazole affect the efficacy of birth control pills? 6 hours later
I have been taking my pill Tri-Estarylla everyday. So I don't need to worry is what your saying right?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
No need to worry. Just do a urine test to be very sure.
Regards.