Can Metrogyl be taken for diarrhea?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jan 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: metrogyl400 can be takenfor severe loose motion or what alternate medicene should be taken
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult doctor in case of severe diarrhea to avoid complications

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Metrogyl 400 contains metronidazole which is an antibiotic medicine and is to be taken on prescription only. The usual dose for diarrohea from amebiasis is 800 mg 3 times daily for 5 days.

2. If you have mild diarrhea then you can treat it be taking ORS or electral powder to prevent dehydration. In mild diarrhea you can also take powder SPOROLAC DS one XXXXXXX twice daily for five to seven days. This is an over the counter medicine and contains lactobacillus which helps to control diarrhea. It is not an antibiotic.

3. If diarrhea is not controlled in 24 hours then you should continue taking electral and consult your doctor. Your doctor will examine you and then prescribe antibiotics like metrogyl or alternatives like ciprofloxacin tinidazole or norfloxacin ornidazole and similar combinations if required. Please remember that these are prescription medicines and to be taken under supervision of your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.