Can Metoprolol and Avastatin be taken after alcohol consumption?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I consume approximately 3-4 drinks per day while taking metoprolol for high blood pressure (145/85) 125 mg per day and and avastatin 25 mg per day. Am I being counter-productive to my health by consuming the alcohol with this combination of drugs? Please advise. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to relieve your anxiety by explaining that no adverse interactions have been seen while taking concomitantly the above mentioned elements (metoprolol, alcohol and atorvastatin).

Nevertheless, I would advise you to slow down with alcohol, as 3-4 drinks daily are too much; it may adversely affect liver (leading to hepatitis/cirrhosis), pancreas (pancreatitis), stomach, nervous system, your blood pressure values, etc.

Generally, no more than 50 ml alcoholic drinks would be tolerable.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri