Can Metformin intake be stopped once it is started?
i need further details
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
I would not say that you have diabetes, rather i would classify you under "Pre Diabetes".
It means you are at risk of developing diabetes.
In such conditions, many doctors use Metformin, but the evidence of benefit is not supported by standard guidelines.
I would like to know following:
1. How is you Lipid profile?
2. Are you overweight?
3. Are you willing to exercise for a better health?
4. Are you taking any other medication?
5. How is your BP?
There is nothing like that if you once start taking metformin, you would have to take it for life. It is not going to cure your diabetes.
It is going to help you for a good control.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me and answer these questions preferably in point wise manner.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Below is the data you rquire from me for further studies:
1. Lipid Profile :
Total Cholestrol: 288 mg/dl
Triglycerides: 127 mg/dl
HDL: 64 mg/dl
LDL: 198 mg/dl
VLDL: 25 mg/dl
T.Cholestrol/HDL Ratio: 4.50
2. Uric Acid :7.00 mg/dl
3. KFT: CR=1.2. urea :45
4. TSH: 5.31 (on drug thynonorm/tyhrox 25 mg)
5. Hypertensive BP under control Taking telmisartin 40 mg OD
6. Active walk for 1/2 hr daily started and ready to continue it.
With your details I can see that your LDL levels are high.
I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor to start you on Atorvastatin which would help you in a better lipid control.
Since you are hypertensive this drug would provide you a better control of cholesterol.
You have not mentioned if you are overweight.
In case you are you can start on Metformin.
In case you are not, a good dietary control would help you in controlling diabetes.
You should avoid sugar, potato, rice, oil.
Try for a modest weight loss.
I am glad you are exercising. You should continue with that.
If you have any further query please ask me.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Metformin hcl and metformin
- Metformin xr vs metformin
- Metformin versus metformin er
- Metformin er vs metformin
- Experiencing headaches after the intake of 1000 mg of metformin
- Can metformin medicine intake cause anal itching
- Are there side effects associated with stopping of metformin intake
- Started metformin periods late
- Metformin take once at bedtime
- Metformin vs metformin hcl